the late 1950's East Tennessee Natural Gas Company
built a natural gas pipeline to serve the AFG Industries
plant in East Hawkins County. A small group of local
businessmen headed by local banker and industrialist,
Robert S. (Bob) Lane, realized the importance of natural
gas for commercial and industrial recruitment and
growth. These men petitioned the Hawkins County Court
to establish a natural gas utility to provide gas
service to Hawkins County.
On December 16, 1957 the Natural Gas Utility District
of Hawkins County was created by order of Chairman
John K. Williams of the County Court of Hawkins County.
Robert S. Lane, Lance W. Rogan and George O. Baker
were appointed to serve as the Board of Commissioners.